Tuesday, April 5, 2011
ROCKY
LAST MINUTES WITH ODEN video- http://vimeo.com/8191217 ----- After watching the above video it got me thinking about Rocky. The following post is just me reflecting some. No great philosophical message. ----- I remember vividly bringing Rocky home for the first time. I was in elementary school and wanted a dog of my own more than I could express. My parents agreed to get me a cocker spaniel. He was perfect. He was pretty big for a cocker spaniel, but had just as much energy as any of his cousins. My parents asked me what I wanted to name him and just knew his name was Rocky from the very beginning. Later I came to call him Rocky Bow-Wow Balboa. He was my best friend. As for how the rest of the family felt about him there is some debate. My dad swore that Rocky drove him crazy and was constantly yelling at Rocky to get out from under his feet and to stay out of his closet, but everyone knew that secretly dad loved Rocky too. Dad would take him on walks almost nightly. He claimed it was for exercise, but I never believed it. I think he just liked have Rocky’s company. ----- Once my junior high years came I went through an extended period of awkwardness. I had a few good friends, but for the most part I was a lonely and quiet kid. It was during those years that I came to really appreciate the friend that I had in Rocky. He was always there and always knew just what I needed. He would play when I needed a buddy or cheering up. And he would sit beside me when I needed a comforter. As I moved into high school I slowly (very slowly) moved out of those awkward years and began to be a little too busy to give Rocky the attention he needed. He never seemed to resent me for it and was always present when I had time to give him. I would occasionally forget how important he was to me. It was during those times that he might get out and a little lost. He would always turn up- dirty. But it was just enough to remind me how much he meant to me. ----- When I left for college Rocky stayed with my parents. He was obviously getting older and needed that little bit of stability. Then one day I went over to my parents’ house to hang out for a little while. My mom had just cleaned up an accident that Rocky had had in the back room. Mom and I talked about how old Rocky was getting and started to discuss if we should end his suffering. When I was about to leave (and you are going to think that I am making this up, but I assure you it happened exactly this way) Rocky wanted to go out for what we assumed was another potty break. But just before my mom let him out as I was standing at the door way about to leave he walked back and looked at me. I could tell he was telling me goodbye. A few minutes later my mom called me to tell me that Rocky had went behind the shed and laid down and died. ----- I have had a couple of dogs since Rocky. Parker was my next dog and just as great. Currently I have Lucy who is also a really good dog. But Rocky was more than good dog. He is what I needed for when I had him. He had a purpose in my life and I will always be grateful for him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I remember Rocky. We babysat him for you guys one New Years Eve. What a sweet dog.
ReplyDelete