Wednesday, June 23, 2010

THE PURSUIT OF TRUTH: ABSOLUTE- Part 3

What is truth is obviously related to what is real. Epistemology is related to the study of metaphysics. Metaphysics is the study of reality. Despite the link between epistemology and metaphysics, the worth of contextualizing truth metaphysically is highly questioned. The grandfather of existentialism is Kant. Kantians believe that we can never really know what reality is, only what it appears to be. As this relates to epistemology, realizing that we can never really know reality or truth beyond what we are able to perceive makes sense. David Hume believed that another problem with metaphysics is that, with the exception of knowledge as it relates to analysis of knowledge, nothing is valuable unless it can be completely deconstructed. Similarly to epistemology, this puts all discourse related to reality into two categories: sensible (what can be reduced) and meaningless (what can’t be reduced). I have used the word deconstruction, but it isn’t until you get to a purely postmodern criticism of metaphysics that deconstruction is pertinent. From a postmodern perspective, knowing reality is significantly hindered by the limitations of language. All language is a symbol and has multiple meanings. So for the postmodern, there is truth and there is how we talk about truth.

The obvious problem with criticisms about metaphysics is that it could lead to infinite regress. We can’t know reality because we have to test each presupposition. However, there is little doubt that metaphysics as a legitimate philosophical study is questionable. This is where evidentialism and reliabilism are valuable in metaphysics. We understandably want to know what is real as we want to know knowledge. These two elements are significant in knowing truth. When you apply the same criteria of reliability of experiences to reality then we can accept that there are events (as Caputo puts it) that are simply irreducible and reliable by nature of their identity. But there is also knowledge and realities which can be infinitely reduced to give greater and greater insight into the irreducible.

So what does this all mean for me as I pursue truth with who I am now? It means that that there are some things that will remain absolutely true. I will hold these things true, not because they have been proven because, as I have previously mentioned, few things are truly provable, but because they can’t be reduced and rely on experiential evidence. This would include the existence of God, resurrection of Christ, etc. However, there are many other things that shape how I feel about those absolutes that can be reduced because they are shaped internally by experiences that are influenced by biases, prejudices, context, etc. The modern church has painted itself in a corner dealing with epistemological and metaphysical issues. It has vacillated between apologetics and sensationalism. The subsequent fundamentalism has made it impossible to experience truth beyond its limited worldview. Despite the active presence of God throughout history and a diversity of meaningful spiritual experiences by people outside of the conventional church structure, the predominant belief among many Christians is that truth is limited a Calvinistic theology of rigid hermeneutics. The idea that truth may be bigger than we realize threatens the stable worldview of so many and the control of a few of their leaders.

I do concede that there is a certain risk involved with broadening our understanding of truth. For example, just as deconstruction can lead to infinite regress, there is a danger of infinite expanse. Therefore, holding to those absolute truths takes greater responsibility and one cannot substitute revelation with psycho-analysis and discipleship with intellectualism. Truth ultimately is Christ and comes from Christ. However, as I have begun to allow myself to be open to truth in new ways and accept that there are more things that I don’t know than I do know. I have experienced a greater sense of peace. And I have quit trying to make sure everything fits into what I believe to be true. When I stopped dictating to God how he was going to reveal himself to me and simply let Him reveal Himself to me I began to experience greater intimacy and understanding. In the following posts I will, however, explore where truth has been limited by modern Christianity.

1 comment:

  1. Somewhere in there should be a "ball of wax", don't you think? :)

    ReplyDelete