Monday, April 26, 2010

A REUNION

“They all have husbands and wives and children and house and dogs, and, you know, they’ve all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? ‘I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How’ve you been?’” (Marty Blank- Grosse Pointe Blank)

This weekend I went to the 75th anniversary celebration of the Wesley Foundation Reunion for the Wesley Foundation at Texas Tech University. I was there as an undergraduate from 1992-1997 and as a graduate student from 1999-2001. I wouldn’t say that The Wesley Foundation was a huge part of my life. I was fairly active I guess. Because of the excessive use of hugging, I typically showed up later than most. But I went to the weekly worship service, participated in a bible study or two, and went on a few Wesley trips including a couple of retreats and mission trips. My wife and I actually met on a Wesley mission trip to Costa Rica while I was there as a graduate student. But in the eight total years that I was associated with the Wesley Foundation as a student I only dated a few Wesley girls which means I couldn’t have been that involved. But it was still a very meaningful part of my life and spiritual development. I have many friendships today that originated out of my time at the Wesley Foundation. Matter of fact, despite the fact that the reunion brought together many eras of the Wesley Foundation, I was able to reconnect to some degree with many of them. It really was a great weekend that I feel very fortunate to have been a part of (bad grammar, I know).

However, as a part of my psychosis, I felt the need to systematically reflect on each thought and feeling I had during the reunion. The first and most frustrating to me was that I was never diagnosed with social anxiety disorder growing up. For an hour before the start of the reunion and first couple of hours of the reunion I felt completely paralyzed with self-doubt. I eventually was able to settle into celebration, but for the first half of the evening you could find me against the back wall hoping no one saw me. I also realized that even though I desperately want to re-engage with the church I just don’t know if I can handle a worship service on a regular basis. Forgive me if that is insulting, but there were so many elements of the first night worship service that I still struggle with. And it had nothing to do with the message, worship, or intentions of those in the room. It was just how it all came together. I could go one with other reflections, but there is one that I have been left reflecting on the most. Despite having a job that relatively enjoy and that I am fairly good at, I felt completely jealous of people who were able to share the ministry they are involved in. But my point here is not to complain, but to address a real problem of my recovery in Christianity: now that the cynicism has faded, yet the concerns remain, what do I do?

James Fowler developed a Faith Development Model which might give me some direction. Like most developmental models, Fowler’s model requires that the individual deal with tensions. Tensions would be two opposing possibilities that develop out of previous developmental stages. Stage 4 of his model is called Individuative-Reflective Faith. For those in this stage the tension is between one’s identity and ones world view. According to Fowler, an individual at the stage has established some sense of identity within his/ her faith in relation to family and other inner-circles of community, but has to now relate those ideas to a broader world view. The individual must, at this stage, take responsibility for those beliefs. Additionally, the individual must question the idea of absolute and engage in critical thinking. It is a tension between identity and the world. I feel fairly confident that I have emerged from this level of faith development successfully. I have, to the best of my ability, integrated the evangelical idealogies that I was raised on that I now have many problems with into a world view that is more inclusive, dynamic, and admittedly liberal. I am not arguing, nor would Fowler, that I have successfully resolved this tension based on my beliefs, but in my ability to integrate identity with world view to develop a new understanding of myself.

Stage 5 is known as Conjunctive faith and it involves, “the integration into self and outlook of much that was suppressed or unrecognized in the interest of Stage 4's self-certainty and conscious cognitive and affective adaptation to reality. This stage develops a ‘second naiveté’ (Ricoeur) in which symbolic power is reunited with conceptual meanings. Here there must also be a new reclaiming and reworking of one's past. There must be an opening to the voices of one's ‘deeper self.’” (Joann Wolski Conn) This stage’s primary function is to loosen the rigidity of certainty essential in Stage 4. It accepts and appreciates paradoxes, uncertainties, and contradictions. It’s focus in on meaning above knowledge.

For me I am somewhere between this resolved Stage 4 faith that has integrated self and others and a faith that fully embraces contradictions. I have possibly come to appreciate contradictions, but have yet to embrace them. Because I struggle with embracing yet still appreciate them I am drawn toward a ministry in the evangelical church but am just unsure what that means for me. It won’t be until this stage is resolved that I am able to truly understand my place within the church.

This could be the answer. Or maybe there is something more psychological to it. Maybe I am just too arrogant and cynical to risk losing control? Maybe it is spiritual and just won’t let the Spirit guide me? I actually think there could be truth in both of these. But I do know for those who have moved beyond the bitterness (even if they are not beyond the cynicism) of institutionalism and long to re-engage the church with more personal integrity the tension can be overwhelming. And so can being in a room full of ministers.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Craig. It is good to see you so deconstructed; i.e. pulling apart your psyche in such taxonomy that any vestige of animated life is just sucked right out of you. If it weren't for your good humor, I'd worry about you. Haha. Incidentally, one memory I have of you was our sitting on the patio of a newish mexican chain restaurant (19th street) discussing inadequate leadership in the church. You claimed with such boldness your disgust at their loss of passion, determination and conviction to stand up for and stand 'in' Jesus Christ. And you pledged yourself to never get like that. Do you remember that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I was reading a book while I was at the Reunion that talked referenced Ricoeur's 'Second Naivete'!!! I should have definitely made a greater effort to seek you out and talk. Sorry.

    The friday night worship was difficult for me. I haven't led contemporary worship or played in a band situation like that in over 2 years now. Yes it was fun and having people cheer when I played the violin was good for massaging my ego, but it confirmed in me that I was right to step away from that role.

    The Grosse Pointe Blank quote resonates with me too. Just before the retreat started I was honest with someone about what is happening in my life and the direction my life is taking. Apparently didn't handle it well. They talked to a third party who took it upon his self to call me and tell me that I needed to be more 'judicious' in my sharing, esp as I was wandering away from the fold. So much for honesty and vulnerability :) Fortunately the book with the chapter on Ricoeur also had this statement 'The Fundamentalist Viewpoint is not the only authentic voice of Christianity'. I needed to read that to get to some peace over what happened. (The book is 'Re-Enchanting Christianity' by Dave Tomlinson)

    Thanks for being honest in your reaction to the weekend. Next time I make it back to Lubbock I'll definitely seek you out for a good talk over coffee or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the first "worship" setting I had been in in three years. I actually really enjoyed parts of it and the individual components of it (the message, communion, community) were fantastic. But the way it felt to me was like a moth and flame. I was strangely attracted to it but feeling the heat of the flame at the same time.

    Peter, It is obvious from our discussions that you have gone through a significant part of your journey and I appreciate your vulnerability. Jon, I feel that the the passion that was lacking twenty years ago has resurfaced among many in the form of zeal. And I would love to hear what you me4an by "animated life".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craigor,
    hey man I just wanted you to know that I love your writings. I have to admit you use a lot of terminology and concepts that make me go - huh? - but you have always been one that is not satisfied with "surface" material. I hope I never added anything that may have weighed you down in your walk. Looking back now I see how naive and simple many of the things I did really were. However, that's not the reason I am writing you. After reading your last article I just felt led to tell that I really love you dude. I see how honest (brutally at times) you are with your feelings, struggles, etc. and it makes me wonder if I am being totally true with myself - I'm not the most introspective (correct term ??)person in the world. I also just want you to know I think you do an incredible job as a dad, husband, and leader. How do I say that since I'm not around you much - I don't know, I just see it - I saw it at the coffee shop that day we hung out - how you handled your son. It was great. So, I just wanted to let you know to keep on plugging. The thing that came to my mind as I read your article was Jacob and how he wrestled with God. How he said, "I'm not letting you go until I get an answer" - my paraphrase. I see you doing the same thing and I really feel like God is cool with that - I actually think he wishes more people would do a little more wrestling. Anyway, just wanted to share that with you bro. Hope you are doing well and hope to see ya soon. Until then I'll just look forward to your next article.
    Love,
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess Black CoppedgeApril 27, 2010 at 12:09 PM

    I have taken a couple of days to take in your blog. It struck me from several angles, and I hoped that by taking some time I could come back with an articulate response. However, if I wait for that, it may never happen...so here goes.
    I'm pretty sure I have been in most ways one who protects herself from these hard questions. The eternal optimist would be the nice way to say it, but closer to truth is the one who builds barriers to remain safe. My questions have come more from the place of wondering what the other will think rather than being present and still enough to discover that voice of authenticity. But there is something about Love that can't stand that. There is a fierce current of Truth, that if I surrender to it, takes me to places of unsafe, unknown, uncomfortable, unrelenting Reality. And it seems not to let up any time soon, if at all. If anything, I wonder if Reality is keeping me under the water and what feels like drowning is actually learning to really breathe. To live in a totally different world, a different world. Not my world, my agenda, my bullshit religion. To Peter, I say, I totally agree. How freeing that Determinism and Free Will walk hand in hand in Scripture. Liberalism and Fundamentalism...excuse me I need to get my son a pacifier. What was I saying? Oh yeah. Hallelujah that the Fundamentalist voice is not the only authentic voice in Scripture. God love you Jerry Farwell, but one of you is enough for this world. I just wonder if as the Church, we have done the most damage to our own, especially as the circles grow tighter and more circumspect. And I am completely and totally at fault--not just on the broader level of community but especially with my closest and dearest. Have you watched Pirate Radio? If not, please do. And keep your voice. Your strong, questioning, Pirate Voice. Keep your fork, too. OK, putting the children down for naps. A kid is screaming in my ear, "A nap, Mom..."

    ReplyDelete